On 25 June 2019 we became the proud owners of 5 Montgomery Street in Beaconsfield. It is the result of a couple of months of work trying to get a group together willing and able to finance the purchase and development of the land.
The investor group includes two households who are keen to own one of the new homes, and also the owners of construction company Right Homes. Together we look forward to working on this project, and aim to make it into something special, offering a great lifestyle for future residents.
The property falls within what is also referred to as the ‘Freo Alternative – Big Thinking about Small Housing’, formally known as Local Planning Scheme Amendment No. 63. The changes to the City’s planning scheme aim to facilitate a wider choice of housing in Fremantle’s suburban areas, whilst still maintaining what people value about their neighbourhoods. We’re excited about the opportunity to develop a real project which provides inspiration for what is possible.
The provisions include:
- Only applies to lots larger than 600 square metres and located within Special Control Area 5.7.
- New dwelling(s) shall have a maximum floor area of 120 square metres.
- Maximum of three dwellings on lots of 750 square metres or less.
- Minimum of 30 square metres of outdoor living area per dwelling.
- Developments to have higher than standard energy efficiency ratings.
- Minimum 70 per cent of the entire development site to be open space, with some variation allowed to 60 per cent open space.
- At least one mature tree to be retained or planted on site.
- A maximum of one parking bay per dwelling.
- All developments to be referred to the City’s Design Advisory Committee to consider design quality.
Subscribe to our newsletter to follow us on our journey.
- 5 Montgomery St, Beaconsfield
- Block size 1,012sqm
- Zoning R20/’Freo Alternative’0
- About 4km from Fremantle CBD
- 600m from high frequency bus stop
- 10 min walk to shops
- 4 dwellings
- Land purchased June 2019
- Planning approval tbc
- Building approval tbc
- Construction completion tbc
- Strata titles released tbc